The day has finally come! You are ready to sign all the paperwork to sell or buy your home. One last question: What type of identification do I need for closing?

Below we identify the types of IDs that are acceptable and the types of IDs that are unacceptable. To be sure, always check with us before closing. We will be happy to assist!


  • Driver’s License or Non-Driver ID Card
  • United States Passport
  • Foreign Passport Stamped by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
  • United States Military ID
  • Veterans Health ID Card
  • Valid Canadian or Mexican Driver’s License Issued by the Official Agency


  • Temporary Driver’s License
  • Driver’s License Without Photograph
  • Social Security Card
  • Employee ID Badge
  • Permanent Resident ID Card

Closing document signatures must match the name that appears on the identification presented. An abbreviated form (John D. Smith instead of John David Smith, for example) may be acceptable. However, deviation is only allowed if the individual is signing with less than and not more than what is on the identification document. If your name has changed, or will change, supporting documentation must be provided.